8.17.2011

Game Review #4: Finger Slayer (Android/iOS)

Finger Slayer has one of the simplest gameplay - put your finger under something dangerous and remove it before something bad happens.

I showed the game to some friends and I realized something: for the first few tries, the game will definitely make anyone chuckle.

It's a fun, heart-racing game that can make you sweat with excitement. But is there more to it?

Read more after the jump.

Gameplay

The gameplay is just as I described it. First you choose a "stage". Choices range from a guillotine to to a SAW (the movie) inspired sawblade drop.

Then, you place your finger on the designated spot, right under the blade.

A countdown ensues. Three. Two. One. Then "Go!".

As soon as you hear "Go!" the blade drops and you must remove your finger. The close you are to losing, the better score you get.

If you remove your finger too soon, the game ends. If you remove your finger too late, of course, your finger is cut and the game ends as well.

A nice twist is that, while "Three", "Two", and "One" are announced/displayed at regular intervals, there might be a long, or worse, a very short pause before the "Go!" message. This means you can't just rely on your timing or rhythm, you really have to wait, see, and listen, to get your finger out of harm's way.

Price

Sounds complicated? Try it for yourself - the game is FREE! (It is ad-supported, though. Ho-hum.)

Difficulty

Once you get the hang of the game, though, I find that it gets too easy and repetitive. Even to the point where you just want to lose just to see your score (or post it to facebook/twitter).

I'm not sure if it's the same with everyone, though. When I first played it (the first ten or so tries), my top score only reached 550. After showing it to friends, I was able to raise this to 660, before a friend raised it further to 1000. I tried again and suddenly got in the groove. My top score now stands at 5010, after 15 or so tries.

I'm not bragging, of course, I'm sure a lot of "addicts" have a much higher score, but I did post to facebook :P.

My point is, there is a point when you get the mechanics and the game just becomes too easy.

But again, it's FREE! So you can't complain!

Summary

+ Nice and simple gameplay
+ Heart-racing (it made me sweat during the first runs)
+ Very simple, so anyone can play it!
+ It's FREEEEEE!

- gets too easy once you get the hang of it
- no iPad (HD) version

Rating: (can be raised two steps if ad is removed and HD version is released)

No comments:

Post a Comment